The Dohány Street Synagogue, also known as the Great Synagogue or Tabakgasse Synagogue, is a prominent synagogue located in Budapest, Hungary. It is the largest synagogue in Europe and the second-largest in the world, with a seating capacity of over 3,000 people.
The synagogue was built between 1854 and 1859 in a Moorish Revival style, designed by the Viennese architect Ludwig Förster. The building features two onion-shaped domes and decorative elements such as colorful tiles, intricate patterns, and a large rose window.
During World War II, the synagogue was used as a Nazi internment camp, and many Jews were deported from there to concentration camps. After the war, the building fell into disrepair, and it was not until the 1990s that extensive renovations were carried out to restore the synagogue to its former glory.